If you peeked into Upstate’s kitchen by reading Jeff Kramer’s story about Upstate’s top chef, Thomas Kiernan, your mouth may have been left watering for the orange muffins described in the first paragraph. So, we asked for the recipe to share:
11 ounces garbanzo beans (chick peas), canned, drained and rinsed
4 Tablespoons 100% orange juice
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup canola blend oil
2 large eggs, separated
1 Tablespoon fresh orange peel, fine grated
1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
5 ½ ounces all purpose flour
6 ounces granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1. Rinse the garbanzo beans well in cold water. Place into a food processor with blended oil, lemon juice, and orange juice. Process until smooth, about 4 minutes.
2. Prepare garbanzo batter by separating egg whites and yolks. Combine garbanzo puree with the egg yolks. lemon and orange zest.
3. Dry ingredients: Reserve 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar, needed for whipping of egg white. Fold remaining sugar, flour and baking powder into garbanzo bean batter.
4. Whip egg whites using a mixer, and 1 Tablespoon of sugar, to medium peak.
5. Finish batter by folding egg whites into the prepared batter gently.
6. Spray a muffin tin with baking spray. Portion batter into muffin tins. Bake in a convection oven at 320 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Read the Cooking Up Comfort story that mentions the muffins.
Listen to an interview with humorist Jeff Kramer.