Here’s part two of the pop quiz I’ve assembled regarding Upstate’s history, based on the research I’ve been conducting for a forthcoming Upstate Health magazine article. Later this afternoon, I’ll post the answers.
1. In what year did the college adopt the metric system?
2. It would take four years to build, but when was the groundbreaking for the State University Hospital (now Upstate University Hospital?)
3. What was the first full-time educational department that was established?
4. How much money was donated by businesses, foundations and individuals in order for Community Hospital to open its doors Jan. 1, 1963? (Community Hospital became Community General Hospital in 1964 after merging with Syracuse General Hospital, and it became part of Upstate in 2011.)
5. What placed Syracuse in the forefront of medical education in the late 1800s? (Hint: Syracuse was following the lead of Harvard and Michigan in this.)