Here’s another tasty treat from the folks at Morrison’s:
11 ounces canned garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
4 Tablespoons 100 percent orange juice
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup canola blend oil
2 large eggs, separated
1 Tablespoon fresh orange peel, fine grated
1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
5 ½ ounces all purpose flour
6 ounces granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1. Rinse the garbanzo beans well in cold water. Place into a food processor with blended oil, lemon juice, and orange juice. Process until smooth, about 4 minutes.
2. Prepare garbanzo batter by separating egg whites and yolks. Combine garbanzo puree with the egg yolks and lemon and orange zest.
3. Dry ingredients: Reserve 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar, needed for whipping of egg white. Fold remaining sugar, flour and baking powder into garbanzo bean batter.
4. Whip egg whites using a mixer, and 1 Tablespoon of sugar, to medium peak.
5. Finish batter by folding egg whites into the prepared batter gently.
6. Spray a muffin tin with baking spray. Portion batter into muffin tins. Bake in a convection oven at 320 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
6 grams total fat
34 grams carbohydrates
2,862 grams sugars
30 millgrams cholesterol
5 grams protein
2 1/2 grams dietary fiber
This and many other stories appear in the summer issue of Upstate Health, the consumer health magazine provided by Upstate Medical University.