FROM THE AMERICAN INSTITUTE FOR CANCER RESEARCH
This hearty summer lasagna packs roasted eggplant, zucchini and lycopene-rich tomatoes. Whole-wheat noodles pack cancer-fighting fiber and natural plant compounds called phytochemicals, which protect cells from the type of damage that may lead to cancer. One batch serves 12, so make this recipe a part of your weekly meal prep.
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan and set aside.
2. Slice the eggplant and zucchini in 1/2-inch slices. Layer them on two baking sheets and coat both sides of the vegetables with cooking spray. Roast for about 40 minutes.
3. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta and/or cottage cheeses, eggs, Parmesan, nutmeg and garlic powder.
5. To assemble: spread a thin layer of sauce over the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover with a layer of pasta. Spread with one-third of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle one-quarter of the mozzarella over the ricotta. Spoon one-third of the roasted vegetables on top. Top with 1/2 cup of tomato sauce and continue the assembly as directed until you have four layers of pasta and three layers of filling. Spread the remaining sauce on top and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
6. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until golden and bubbly, about 15 minutes more. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
— 2 eggplants (about 3 pounds), quartered lengthwise
— 6 medium zucchini (about 3 pounds)
— canola oil cooking spray
— 15 ounces low-fat ricotta or low-fat cottage cheese (or a combination of both)
— 2 eggs
— 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
— 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
— 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
— 4 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
— 1 pound whole-wheat, no-boil lasagna noodles
— 3 cups low-fat mozzarella cheese
Nutritional information per serving:
11 grams total fat (5 grams saturated fat)
45 grams carbohydrate
23 grams protein
11 grams dietary fiber
310 milligrams sodium
This article appears in the spring 2019 issue of Cancer Care magazine.